Sunday, May 3, 2009

Courage’s face

Meeting the Founder and Chairman of the Sudan Liberation Organization was an inspiration.  After having shared superficial handshakes with more political, military, and business leaders than I could count at the Herzliyah Conference, a meeting with three African NGO leaders was almost entirely accidental – and thoroughly fortuitous  They had come to seek support from Israel-friendly NGOs in their quest to seed democracy, grow hope, and offer refuge for the millions of displaced and desperate Sudanese in Darfur and its surroundings.  They cried when they saw my green “Not on our watch” Darfur wristband.   I cried when they conveyed how inspiring Israel (her exodus story, her democracy, her hope) has been to them.  Having been imprisoned dozens of times and having been kicked off of Al Jezeera for supporting Israel, their needs are so very great. I told them how much their heroism and courage inspires me, and I pledged my support. They thanked me and we embraced.   A most important beginning.

No comments:

Post a Comment