Thursday, April 23, 2009

A place to refurnish my inner life

My first Jerusalem destination was to visit a travel agent – to begin making arrangements for our family’s trips to Egypt and Jordan.  At a friend’s recommendation, I was able to track down Frances, a seasoned professional located downtown on Shammai Street.  After some pleasantries, Frances inquired about the nature of my stay in Israel this winter.  I told her I had come to “refurnish my inner life.”  Her response: “You came here to do that?  Most people I know leave Israel to renew themselves.”  My first day.  My first reminder than life in Israel can be difficult – yet so often the important things of life are difficult.

How does one refurnish an inner life?  For me it is by collecting experiences – experiences of meeting, listening, and learning.  What follows is an effort to catalogue a sampling of the more salient ones.

No comments:

Post a Comment